Like chocolate confections as much as Tess and Jack? Here are recipes for the goodies Tess makes in the books. I hope to have picture of the goodies up shortly.
Chocolate Caramel Decadence Squares from Deadly Valentine
Cake Mix(For ease you can use a box of chocolate cake mix instead.)
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 tbsp cocoa (the higher quality the better!)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 14 oz caramels (if you can find the caramel bits, you’ll save time from unwrapping individual caramels)
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 3/4 c margarine melted
- 12 oz chocolate chips (original recipe calls for only 6 oz) – The higher quality the chip, the yummier.
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Melt caramels with 1/3 cup evaporated milk over a double boiler.
- Grease and flour a 13×9 pan
- Combine cake mix, butter and 1/3 cup evaporated milk (and nuts if using). Batter should be sticky.
- Press half of the dough into the pan and back at 350 degrees for 6 minutes
- Take pan out of the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips.
- Cover with caramel (you may need to help spread it)
- Crumble remaining dough on top. It helps to keep a cup of water handy to dunk your fingers and utensils in to help prevent the dough from sticking.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly then refrigerate for 30 minutes to set caramel.
- Cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch squares and enjoy!